Amazing ziplining and Cloud Forest!
Monteverde is THE eco-tourist place in Costa Rica, with a crazy biodiversity, thanks to it’s Cloud forests, coffee plantations, ziplines, suspension bridges, monkeys, birdwatching, day and evening hikes and others! The region harbors over 100 species of mammals, 400 species of birds, tens of thousands of insect species, and over 2,500 varieties of plants, 420 of which are orchids alone.
Costa Rica has some of the longest ziplines (in the world?), with 1-mile-long ones. It was loads of fun and the views over the cloud forest and the sensations are really cool. Feeling like Superman, so high up in the sky. That was an experience! It costs around 50$ and Monteverde has a lot options to do it.
Although the town in itself isn’t that amazing, it is quite lively and has quite a few good options for restaurants. You can easily spend 2 days there.
Our Hostel: Cabinas Vista Al Golfo, is a good enough hostel. The setup is pretty convenient and it has big common areas and nice big terrace. Breakfast was nothing special though.
♣ Get there and away:
- From Monteverde, you can go either go or go back to La Fortuna or next stop can also be the Puntarenas / Monteverde.
- Taking the car from La Fortuna to Monteverde is definitely an adventure! We left La Fortuna to go to Monteverde, at 10.30, arrived at 2.15 !!! The way was beautiful and loads of fun. Mainly dirt rocky paths, in the middle of no where, but with incredible panoramas and it was apparently again, the shortest way. At some point, MapsMe was asking us to cross a little river… Cross a little river in the middle of no where, with a rental car… Half of us got out of the car and crossed by foot and veeeeryyy slowly the others crossed with the car. We were all holding our breath, but in the end, no problem, both times! It was so funny!
♣ More useful links for Monteverde:
- Nomadic Matt – Blog (to do, prices)
- Matt & Jenn – Blog (to do, restaurants)
- Monteverde TripAdvisor – Travel App (to do)
- Monteverde info – Website (to do, info, prices, timetables)
- Monteverde Cloud forest – Website (info)